Monday, October 22, 2012

Music Mondays: My Horror Movie Soundtrack




The spirit of October has possessed me.

I've turned the bar that surrounds my kitchen into a representation of the harvest and the dying of the year: woven black place mats, topped with a horn of plenty spilling brightly colored vegetables and a wicker vase of (fake, otherwise the cats would eat them) autumn leaves in brilliant bursts of yellow and red. Interspersed between the fall foliage are various types of skulls - goblets, candle holders - and napkins bearing the cameo style silhouette of woman with bleeding fang marks on her neck.

This week, I'm anticipating my annual viewing of The Crow, along with a few other horror movies (maybe Mirrors, Stir of Echoes and The Hills Have Eyes).

"Apocalyptic City" by Funshine21
And I've been thinking, if I were in a horror movie (or making a horror movie), what background music would I want?

In recent years, I've become very attached to the post-apocalyptic horror tale, a la The Stand or 28 Days Later. A world where the human population has taken a powerful hit, leaving most of the world empty and desolate.

A wasteland of silent cars and abandoned buildings. A world filled with the saccharine sweet scent of unmentionable things going to rot. A world that's so very quiet and so empty, you can't resist the urge to look over your shoulder to make sure you're truly alone. (Because we all know when things are too quiet, trouble is brewing.)

So here are selections from my horror movie soundtrack. What would yours be?


1. End of the World - Cold
2. In the Still of the Night - The Five Satins
3. Scavenger - Emilie Autumn
4. Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
5. Comfortably Numb - Collide



1.




3.



5.








No comments:

All images are copyright to their respective owners and used according to Creative Commons agreements.