Monday, November 18, 2013

NaNoWriMo: Halfway Point



As of this posting (not writing, because I'm writing this three weeks ago), we've passed the halfway marker for the NaNoWriMo deadline. 

At this point, if I've not been driven entirely mad, the odds are in favor of my being in some kind of creative fugue state, not completely aware of what day it is or what I've done over the last three weeks. 

I'm (me, in the past) just guessing. But this is how I've spent every NaNoWriMo that I've won. 

Writing 50,000 words in 30 days is an exercise in dedication. To put it lightly. Because all of the normal little daily needs and interruptions in your life don't suddenly disappear because you're "writing a novel." 

In addition to the daily word count that needs cracking: The day job needs doing. The apartment still needs cleaning. The cats still need tending. The husband still wants attention. The kids (if you have them) need caring for. There's dinner to cook, bills to pay, groceries to buy. 

If you're lucky, the people you live with will help pick up the slack. Though if you're anything like me, there's a control-freak side that finds it hard to let other people take care of things because they won't do it right. (I'm told that actually translates to: they won't do it like I do it. But I maintain that I do it the right way, so....) 

I digress.

If I've stuck to my guns, I should be over halfway to the 50,000 word count. Odds are, I'm running behind (because there's always something that happens in November to throw me off my game).

Maybe I'll win. Maybe I won't. 

Hopefully, I'm enjoying the ride.

I'll see you in December.



No comments:

All images are copyright to their respective owners and used according to Creative Commons agreements.