Friday, October 14, 2016

[Six Sentence Fiction] Encounter





I was stringing up laundry in the backyard when I saw him standing at the edge of the woods, naked as you please, the only thing giving him some shred of decency being the thigh length rat’s nest of hair hanging over his shoulders.

Nan used to warn me about naked woodsmen, telling me “run if you see ‘em girl cause they’ll do you a goodly bit of mischief and no Christian woman needs that on her conscience.” But really, I’d always thought she was a little senile if not totally full of shit and besides, I wasn’t a Christian woman, so I went on hanging the laundry and keeping one eye on him.

Wild-animal timid, he’d creep close and pull back, watching me, until I ran out of laundry. I sat down on the stoop to see what he’d do and that’s when he struck, lunging into my $70 Northern Nights sheets and snapping my clothes line; I screamed and threw an empty planter at him. When he leapt out of the tangled clothes line and shot for the woods, he had my husband’s Day-Glo Incredible Hulk boxer shorts in his hand.

No comments:

All images are copyright to their respective owners and used according to Creative Commons agreements.