Not far, just over the river and through the woods—and across the plateau—to my parents' house.
Though travel is exhausting and often exacerbating (especially if you're heading to a completely new destination and either don't have a co-pilot to read the map or have one who doesn't tend to give you directions until after you've already missed the exit) it's rejuvenating. I love being on the road. Even if it's just taking a three hour trip to a place I've been a million times before.
My life can be measured in ribbons of highway, between PCSing and taking family vacations. So many of my childhood memories involve staring out the backseat window of an Oldsmobile and counting the mile markers to our destination.
And of course, when on the road, one must have music. So, here are some of my favorite driving tunes, the ones that keep you from falling asleep on particularly boring stretches of highway and a couple that might have you double-checking your speedometer after a verse or two.
Feel free to share yours in the comments.
1. Like A Stone - Audioslave
3. The Terminator (Main Theme) - Brad Fiedel
4. The River - Bruce Springsteen
5. A Place Called Home - Kim Richey
6. Smile - Olive
7. Second Chance - Shinedown
8. He's a Pirate - Hans Zimmer (POTC soundtrack)
9. Runaway Train - Soul Aslym
10. Keep Myself Awake - Black Lab
I'm hopping today: