Monday, March 18, 2013

Music Mondays: Mental Health Edition



So, fellow writers, I had a mini mental meltdown at the end of last week which resulted in my a. questioning my basic ability to write fiction (which, if I'm totally honest, happens approximately every few months) and b. shelving the short story I've been fiddling with since the end of January.

I've been chasing my tail for weeks and while I like the world and some of the mythos that plays a part in story, I can't get it to come together. I'm missing something integral.

The story was born from a prompt given to me by an editor so I could attempt to write something new (and more content appropriate) for possible inclusion in an anthology. I've never had so much trouble writing from prompts before but maybe I put too many expectations (and presumed expectations) on myself this time. (I'm also not discounting the fact that it's been rather loud in my head, lately. Lack of steady work does strange things to one's mind.)

So, rather than continue to drive myself crazy, I decided to set it aside and turn toward other things. The A to Z Challenge is coming up. I have a few other projects that have been needling me (while I was distracted with the aforementioned short story). I have things to do.

I won't count myself out of the running. Maybe I'll stumble on the missing element. Maybe I'll create a story from one of the other prompts I was given. Maybe. But I'm not going to limit myself to that one creative venture - it's too depressing when it doesn't pan out.

And because of all this, I definitely need a mental health playlist this week. It's a short one. A little new age-ish, a little despairing, a little hopeful.

Tell me, when you're having one of those moments where you just want to ball up the pages of your writing and let the cats have at it, what do you listen to?





Cristofori's Dream - David Lanz




4 O'Clock - Emilie Autumn




Honor for All - Jon Licht and Daniel Licht (Dishonored OST)






No comments:

All images are copyright to their respective owners and used according to Creative Commons agreements.